Thursday, November 04, 2004

"How was your flight?" "I'd give it an 8."

I'm debating with myself: do I affix a grade to a film or do I not affix a grade to a film? I'll admit, it is a handy little way to catalogue, organize, and allow for quick assessment of films I have seen. On the flipside: do I really want to distill my thoughts on a film to an essence as unrefined as a rating? Will I be making it easier for people to armchair-quarterback their way into a discussion, e.g. "Ughh, this one guy on the internet gave it a 'B' so it must be alright." Consequently, will that lead to people glancing over, rather than reading, what I write? Does it matter? F. Scott Fitzgerald said, "A wise [person] is one who can hold two conflicting opinions in [his/her] head without going insane." I am obviously not terribly wise, so I ingratiate myself to you: what should I do? I know I'm risking the public realization that nobody reads this blog, but, please, post your comments here. If you aren't comfortable with that (Perhaps you have a bit of stage fright. It's ok. So do I.) you can email me: Javelin2Jesus AT aol DOT com. Also, if you care to recommend a rating scale (like - letter grade, 10 point system, 5 star system, 100 point system, et cetera) I would be very appreciative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home