Saturday, November 03, 2007

I [heart] Huckabees d. David O. Russell, 2004

I agree with most everything I said in my ealier review, but I don't find the humor overly bathetic this go 'round. That mud/sex scene in the middle is still unnecessarily pedantic and obnoxious, but the film works even better than I remember on the whole. I still think this film is about trying to make sense of the self, the internal, in a world where the external is pure nonsense, and I think that's an even better lick now than it was in '04. I only got two qualms: the dialog is unnecessarily cheeky at points ("Is it a crime to look at Lange?"; "Yes. No. Space, not time.") and the philosophy is possibly too self-serious.

(Possibly cause I'm not quite sure if that stuff I learned and thought about in Sophomore year is actually trite or if it's really as profound as I once thought it was. I mean, it's fully possible that the Cave and monism/dualism is really, actually hot shit.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home